This week I gave my closet a serious clean out and took a big box of things to Goodwill and sent a huge bag to ThredUp (more on this soon). I really wanted to go through my things and only hold on to items that I really liked and wore often. Sometimes I feel like I just have so much stuff and have really been wanting to simplify. Maybe all of the talk about capsule wardrobes has me wanting to downsize, I don’t know. Plus, it never hurts to make a few extra dollars from consignment! That said, the great closet clean out pointed me to a few staple items that I’d like to add to my closet this season:
1. Nude flats. Last year I got a pair of nude Steven Madden flats from TJ Maxx and they were terrible! The inner lining started flaking off and was constantly getting stuck between my toes. I guess you get what you pay for! I love this pair from Jack Rodgers.
2. Black flats. I was tempted to have a memorial service when I put my trusty black flats in the Goodwill box this week. I bought a pair of black Jack Rogers flats in college and wore them until they literally had holes in them. The soles were so worn down that my feet got wet every time it rained. I’ve liked the classic Revas from Tory Burch for a long time but find the big gold T to be a little bit gaudy. Also, I cannot fathom why they are so expensive. Do you have a pair of black flats that you love? I want to invest in a pair that will last me for at least a couple of years, not a Target special.
3. Neutral casual shoes. Let’s be honest, my job is super informal. I wear jeans most days and need shoes that are comfortable to wear when chasing two little kids around. I have a teal pair of Vans but really like this grey pair to match more outfits. Thoughts?
4. Black full-length Wunder Unders. Go on and judge how much these pants cost. I think they are worth every single penny. I have the Wunder Under crops and wear them multiple times a week. I’d like the full-length WU’s so I can wear them with real clothes, not just to work out.
5. Neutral infinity scarf. I can rock an infinity scarf like it’s my job. I’d love something neutral and casual that I can wear all fall and winter long. This striped chambray scarf from Forage is sold out, but they still have it on Amazon, so I might scoop it up!
6. Oversized bag. Let it be known that I have never purchased a “real” handbag. I always spring for whatever is $29.99 at TJ Maxx or Marshall’s. I’ve been carrying a small cross-body bag but I’d like a bigger bag for fall. I carry a lot of junk around and would like room for my Kindle and my Simplified Planner.
7. Everyday jacket. I really don’t have a casual, every day jacket. I looked last year but couldn’t find anything I liked. Depending on the weather, I may not need one this year. I’ll probably hold out for a couple more months before making this purchase.
8. Riding boots. A few years ago I bought the Steve Madden knock-offs from Rack Room that everyone has. I scuffed a big chunk of fake leather out of them at a football game right after I got them, but still wore them for two years. I have been lusting over the Michelle Button boots from Frye but just thinking about spending that much money on a pair of shoes gives me heart palpitations. Last year Sole Society had a good selection, so maybe I will have luck there this year!
Do you have advice or recommendations for any of these items?
What are you hoping to add to your wardrobe this season?
Note: None of this is sponsored and there are no affiliate links hiding in here. Just stuff I like and wish I had the dollars for.