Last weekend I hopped on the plane and set off on an adventure to Washington, DC! Shout out to my sister, and my roomate Haley, for dropping me off and picking me up from the airport. It would have taken me around 6 hours to drive to DC from Charlotte, so I was excited to find an inexpensive (and short!) flight on a holiday weekend.
I went to visit my sweet friend Taylor who just moved to DC at the beginning of the summer. We had a great time catching up and sight-seeing — she lives on Capitol Hill — but what I really need to tell you about is the food. Oh, the food. DC is doing it right! Here are 6 of the best things I ate during my time in our nation’s capitol:
- Bakedwich Ice Cream Sammie from Baked & Wired. Homemade vanilla ice cream sandwiched between 2 chocolate chip cookies. This was probably the very best thing I ate all weekend. We were sitting outside the bakery eating and at least 5 people walking by stopped and asked us what we were eating and where we got them. Baked & Wired also had cupcakes that looked incredible. Next time!
- The Michelle Melt from Good Stuff Eatery. Free range turkey burger, caramelized onions, swiss cheese, ruby tomato, and lettuce on a wheat bun with Southlawn herb garden mayo. Plus, Spike’s Village Fries topped with fresh thyme, rosemary, and sea salt.
- Cookies & Cream Milkshake from Good Stuff Eatery.
- The District Cobb Salad from Sweet Green. Shredded kale + chopped romaine with roasted chicken, goat cheese, hard boiled egg, bacon, raw corn, avocado and grape tomatoes topped with an agave dijon vinagrette. Charlotte, why don’t you have a Sweet Green?
- Nutella scone from Pound. Crunchy on the outside, perfectly soft and fluffy on the inside. Still warm and eaten along with iced coffee. Heaven.
- East Loop Pizza from District of Pi. Mozzarella, pesto, roasted chicken, mushrooms, and red onions. Best eaten with Original Sin Hard Cider.
Honorable mentions go out to the Nutella Calzone from Seventh Hill and the bacon, egg, and cheese croissant from Firehook . Really I would have included them above, but I didn’t take pictures of those.
Yes, I did actually eat all of that stuff in one weekend (hey I also drank a green juice somewhere between all of that and hello there’s a SALAD up there) and yes I do plan on paying my penance this week. #worthit
Going to DC? Eat those things.